Sunday, July 02, 2006

My Country! O My Country

My Country! O My Country!

1 My country! O my country --
So vast, so rich, so blessed!
The hand of God in bounty
With endless beauty dressed
Thy forests, fields and fountains,
Thy rivers, lakes and shores,
Thy prairies, hills and mountains,
And filled with plenty's stores.

2 My country! O my country!
From all the world have come
The tongues and tribes and kindred
Of earth to call thee home!
From south to north all scattered
And stretched from west to east,
They stand in God's own image
The greatest to the least.

3 My country! O my country!
So far, so far from God!
Enslaved in sin's dark bondage,
Afflicted 'neath its rod!
Blind to thy pride and error,
Crime, vice and poverty,
Who warns thee of God's terrors,
His coming wrath to flee?

4 My country! O my country!
Repent! Return to God
Whose Son for our salvation
Shed forth His precious Blood
His Spirit calls in mercy,
Receive His written Word,
And to the Father's glory
Crown Jesus Christ the Lord!

-- JPB, 16 November 2004.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home